Tuesday 23 July 2013

If only I had done this

This is a portrait of Sophie Grey the sister-in-law of Sir John Everett Millais.  There is something about this portrait that suggests a closer relationship between the sitter and the artist. The confidence and almost confrontational manner shown by Sophie would not have been acceptable in Victorian Society.  I have always been a massive fan of the Pre-Raphaelites since a very young age and Millais is one of the best if not the best.  However I knew nothing of this portrait until I went to a recent exhibitio at the Royal Academy.  The painting is only 30cm high by 23cm wide yet it grabbed my attention from across a busy gallery. It is a jewel of a picture and it instantly became one of my favourite portraits. 
I would love to be this talented hence “if only I had done this”.

No comments:

Post a Comment